Jeff's Journey will be a place where family and friends can come to get updates on our dad's condition and progress. We have a long road ahead of us and we hope that this blog can serve not only as a place for updates but also as a journal of strength and remembrance. We have faith in our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ and we know that through our faith and perseverance our dad will be healed. Though we have been told that the chances are slim (1 in 200,000) that our dad will walk again, we will be by his side to help him beat those odds. Our dad will make it through this challenging trial and we will be there to help him every step of the way! We love you DAD & GRANDPA!!

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Day 127-133, Dec. 28 to Jan. 3

Day 127-133, Dec. 28 to Jan. 3

Happy New Year!


This week was fine. Jeff says, "There were no ups and no downs." We count no downs a blessing! His cold has even started to move on, finally. He just has a little bit of a cough still. Jeff had therapy as usual this week and spent New Year's Eve watching movies with Annette until 2016. 

It took getting up at 6 am, but Jeff and Annette made it to church on time this week! Annette expressed her gratitude that Jeff commented in Sunday school. He's been much quieter since the accident and said, "It's hard; I just don't have the spark I used to." We're thankful he's finding his voice again.     

From Jeff:

"Well, it's 2016! A new year. Last year wasn't easy. I don't even know where to start. It's been a long time since I chimed in on the blog. Through all the hardships and everything that comes with being paralyzed we've received many blessings. We're grateful to everyone who has contributed time, money, prayers, kind deeds, and everything else. 

I was able to remain positive through all of the trials when I was in the hospital. But since returning home, even though it's a much better place than the hospital, it's been more difficult to stay positive all the time. There's so much to do here and I can't do any of it. I have to ask someone else to do everything, so it makes it really hard to stay positive. 

The doctors and therapists at the hospital told us the first year would be the hardest. If we make it through the first year the rest should be better, easier. So I'm looking forward to making it through this year in the best way possible. Getting stronger, learning to do more things for myself, trying to stay positive and make the most of the year even though it's promised to be a challenge.

It's been nice to be able to go back to church again on Sundays and attend my own ward. I missed the opportunity for the spiritual growth and learning that comes from going to church on Sundays that we weren't able to do until we got home. 

Again, we are so grateful and thankful for all everyone has done for us."

Our family cannot express our gratitude enough for all of you. We have felt of our Savior's love through these hard times because of the service and love we have been given. We are looking forward to our dad's growth in the coming year. We look to this new year with faith and the hope of good things to come! 

1 comment:

PANDA said...

I will tell you Jeff that it does get easier to get used to the changes! My mom is in a riding wheelchair and has been for a while she also has had a below the knee amputation. She is adjusting well. I have also been in a riding wheelchair due to a back injury and it was very hard for me at first I had a job that I ran all day to being sedentary but I can swim in a pool so I am moving so I can go swimming once I get to the pool. That is until I lose my other shoulder then swimming will be out. But you adjust and caring on and laugh and cry and live life with all the ups and downs that come with daily life, you just shop at the lower levels and be forever grateful you have your life. My dad before he passed away was a quadra pledge before he died and live the last part of his life in a bed being fed. So I know how hard it is to care for someone who is paralyzed. Just so you know it will soon become routine and easier everyday and soon it will be the new normal!