It's been a while since our last update. Really it's a testament to how difficult it's been for our dad to open up about what he's experiencing and feeling. We will compile the info of the last few weeks for you all soon, but in the meantime we'd like to open a dialog for our dad.
Either down in the comments, in person, through a text message, or via email, ask Jeff your questions. We feel a Q & A might be a good start for him to open up. He has expressed his desire several times to post something of his own, but when it comes down to it he just can't seem to find a good place to start.
Don't be shy, we know there are many questions left unspoken at this time. What would you like to know?
At the discretion of Jeff and Annette answers might be posted here or sent privately. Either way we know it will be therapeutic for Jeff to express his feelings and share his thoughts.
Thank you all for your patience and continued support. We love you!
Q: Do doctors recommend mental health therapy in addition to occupational therapy and physical therapy in order to better cope with a trauma like what you've experienced? If so, has it taught you anything you'd be willing to share with us? If not, what coping strategies have you had to put in place to adjust to this different structural life?
A:They do normally recommend mental health therapy, but I was interviewed by three different psychologists in the hospital after I was injured and they said I was okay. I agree. I was blessed enough to have a positive attitude from the time I came to the hospital to the time I left so I didn't need psychiatric help.
Coping strategies? Geeze... You just have to stay positive and cope every day. I've been blessed to have family and friends who are here to support me. I'm just grateful that when I "signed up" for this Annette did too. If she wasn't in this with me I don't know how I could do it.
Q: What is the hardest part of your daily routine?
A: Annette has to do so much and I can’t do anything. The hardest part really is the fact that I can’t do anything for myself and how much everyone else has to work because of it.
Q: Is there any task you’ve tried that was much easier than you expected?
A: Nothing comes to mind. I can’t think of anything I thought would be hard and was easier than I expected… Getting fat was easier! Staying thin was much harder than I expected!
Q: What is the most frustrating part about being paralyzed?
A: Again, just that everyone has to do everything for me and I can’t do anything on my own. My hands and legs are useless. All I have is my mind and I can move my arms. It’s very frustrating.
Q: If you could give one piece of advice to a person who was just seriously injured and unsure of the future, what would it be?
A: Keep on trying. Eventually everything will work out. You’ll get to the point that life will be enjoyable, like when you’re around other people. The best part of this life is family and friends. Life will be different and it’s not easy, but it can still be enjoyable. It’s worth the effort.

No comments:
Post a Comment