Day 4 - Part 2
Today has been a long one here at home. Brandi and Zach should arrive in Denver sometime around 10pm. We are so grateful for all who helped in making their trip possible.
Peggy and Annette report that they finally got some much need sleep last night! They are both very appreciative of that. Jeff had a rough night with acid reflux making it nearly impossible to rest. Medication has been given to help with that and we pray for a better night for him tonight!
They had a very busy morning as the physical therapists switched beds. It was an amazingly quick process with a sling placed under him and then attached to a power lift. The new bed is softer and better to keep bed sores from forming.
His Neuro surgeon, Dr. Harasaki, came in to check in on him. He ordered an MRI today to get a very clear view of the spinal cord and ligaments. Jeff slept through the whole thing.
His Neuro surgeon, Dr. Harasaki, came in to check in on him. He ordered an MRI today to get a very clear view of the spinal cord and ligaments. Jeff slept through the whole thing.
Annette and Peggy found the cafeteria and report that it's huge and has good food.
They turn all the lights down through the entire unit for nap time from 2:00 to 3:30pm.
Jeff's nurse today is named Kyia and is all of 4' 9". Peggy says she has run her legs off today for which we are all grateful. Kyia said, "Jeff, you are fortunate to have two beautiful women to be here with you willing and able to do anything I ask of them as well as your requests. There are too many patients who are alone with no family support."
Funny moment of the day:
Peggy and Annette were instructed to have Jeff use the "breathing measuring thing" (Incentive Spirometer) several times throughout the day. So they get the mouth tube in place and told Jeff, "Blow." Nothing happened. It must be broken, as air comes out where it shouldn't. So they each gave it a try - same nothing. Finally they realized you don't blow in it, you suck air from it! Jeff did great and it went as high as they wanted. Peggy and Annette say they both hope to do better with the next new assignment they are given.
As a nurse Julee sees the same mistake every single time she works, no joke! While it's pretty funny it happened, they did great figuring out how to actually use it on their own. Most people just wait for the nurse to come back and say it's broken.
Dinner time! Turkey, potatoes and gravy, green beans, grapes and his Thick & Easy drink. Visitors have to be out of the room no later than 7 p.m. for shift change report. They lingered a bit longer as Jeff wanted his computer plugged in, but were promptly told it was past time for them to leave.
Annette is doing awesome in taking care of Jeff. From feeding him, following the nurses and physical therapists instructions, and keeping Jeff's spirit's up, Annette is a wonder and we don't know what we'd do without her! Jay reported today to Cherie that our mom was "holding up really well" given the circumstances.
We forgot to post that yesterday Cherie finally got to talk to her dad on the phone. Annette had to work really hard to keep Jeff awake just for a moment so that he could talk to Cherie. Now remember he was on a lot of meds yesterday and this is how the conversation went:
Cherie: "Hi Dad, how are you?"
Jeff: "How do you think I am doing?...I'm shitty..."
Cherie: "I know Dad, but you will get better. Everything is going to be okay. I love you Dad!"
Jeff: "I love you too. You were a hard kid to raise, you were tuff, but you turned out okay"
Not really knowing how to respond to her dad Cherie answered him with "Yeah?", but in the back of her mind she was really thinking, "Geeze Dad just tell me how you really feel..."
Obviously when our dad is drugged he is even more blunt and to the point than normal. This made us all laugh.
Nicollet Atwood, daughter of Mike (Annette's brother) and and the late Becky Green, and niece to Jeff, would like to share an experience she had the night before the accident:"My sisters and I know from certain experience of how you all feel of the big question WHY!!! I always question the day I got the phone call of our parent's accident and then moments later hearing the words "mom didn't make it". To all of you I know for a fact my mom was there with your dad! I want share somthing with you all. It may sound crazy, but the night of his accident I had a dream of my mom. She was laughing with your mom and dad! Your mom and my mom were talking about crafts and grandkids and your dad of course just giggling saying, "Oh you women and your crafts," with a chuckle. Then my dream kinda faded to my mom talking to your dad, just them two. My mom reached out her hand to your dad and said, "You will be okay! You will be with your wife, your kids, and your grandkids!" After she said that she stood up and waved goodbye and then I woke up in tears wanting to see my mom. I know it may sound crazy hearing somthing like that but it is true and it was so real! I am so truly sorry you guys have to go through this rocky path! It sucks! I even hate it and it's not me going through this! You all are amazing and so strong, keep your faith and spirits high! Please tell your mom and dad hi and we love you all!"
8 comments:
Thanks for the update on his day. I'm glad Brandi and Zach made it there safe.
When are the results of the MRI expected?
My Mom didn't say. I will ask her tomorrow when I see her.
No problem, wish there was more I could do. I feel useless so far away. Sigh
When are the results of the MRI expected?
Thanks for the update on his day. I'm glad Brandi and Zach made it there safe.
You're doing a great job keeping this up - you and Brandi. You keep us all informed. That's not "useless" at all, love. We, as the reading audience (if I may be so bold to speak for us all) appreciate you!
Post a Comment