Good afternoon, I am thankful for this opportunity
to prepare for this talk and reflect upon my life. I pray that the Spirit will
be with us as I talk about my experiences with love and service. It's been a
long time since I had the opportunity to talk. The subject I was asked to share
with you today is Love. Loving those we serve and those we serve with, being
loved by those that serve with us and those that serve us.
I would like to give a very condensed view of my
life and some of the opportunities I've had to love others and opportunities I
have had to be taught and loved by those I have served with and those that have
served me. I am not going to use names because I don't want to become too
emotional.
I am going to start with reading a few scriptures.
Matt. 22:37-39
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord
thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love
thy neighbor as thyself.
D&C 107:99-100
99 Wherefore, now let every man learn his duty, and
to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence.
100 He that is slothful shall not be counted worthy
to stand, and he that learns not his duty and shows himself not approved shall
not be counted worthy to stand.
I read these scriptures and it seems to me it's an
easy choice. Love and serve and it brings great joy, or not be counted worthy
to stand.
Over the years I have committed sins of omission. I
have learned from my mistakes and I continue to learn and improve as life goes
on. We are not just responsible for what we do; we are also responsible for
what we don't do.
I was born under the Temple Covenant and raised in
the gospel by loving parents, family, leaders and teachers. I was taught by
example how to work hard and be honest. I felt loved and I learned also to love
and appreciate those around me. When I was 18 my Bishop asked me about serving
a mission. I told him I was not going to go and if he wanted me to continue attending
church he would not ask again. At that time I didn't see how I could teach
others something I didn't know for sure myself. I had faith and hope that the
Gospel of Jesus Christ was true, and I had felt the spirit, but I guess I just
wasn't sure.
Annette, my sweetheart and eternal companion, and I
were married in the temple when I was 21. Our first child Brandi was born two
years later. Our second child Ryan was born three and a half years after that,
and our last child Cherie was born three and a half years after that. We went
to Church because it was what we should do, or to set an example for our
children.
When I was 28 years old going to Church was taking
time and callings would take even more time. I needed to know for sure if the
Gospel was true if I was going to continue spending time going to church and
serving in callings. So I started reading the Book of Mormon. It took most of
the year to read. I remember the night that I finished. It was after midnight,
I was out in the front room by myself, and I prayed to know if the Book of
Mormon was true and if my sins could be forgiven.
The Spirit came over me like it never had before. I
felt joy like never before. I knew that the Book of Mormon was true. I knew
that my sins had been forgiven. From that time forward I went to church and
served in callings because I wanted to.
Shortly after that I received a calling to serve as
an executive secretary in the Elders Quorum presidency. The Elders Quorum
president was a very good example. He helped me learn many things, but most of
all was that he cared about me, those we served with and all those we served.
He moved away to North Carolina and a few years later he was called as a Bishop
and later as a Stake President.
The next Elders Quorum President called me to be
his first counselor and I had a very good experience serving there also. I
remember one experience that goes with the subject of the talk, loving those we
serve and those we serve with. We were in a presidency meeting and the second counselor
asked how you can love those you serve. We spent the rest of the meeting trying
to explain how we love those we serve. Some examples of this are when you care
about and have concern for others, when you respect them, or when someone
improves or succeeds and it brings you JOY. He just didn't understand and he
moved away a few weeks later. I hope he was able to learn to love those he
serves.
The next example I would like to share with you is
when I was serving as a ward clerk. You need to know that this Bishop treated
the Executive Secretary and Ward Clerk as Councilors. Our opinions were asked
for and respected. It was the first time I was part of a Disciplinary Council.
After we finished the interviews and were discussing the facts, I just didn't
feel worthy to judge another. I expressed my feelings and the bishop suggested
we pray about my feelings and he offered the prayer. I was so overcome with the
Spirit, of Love and Joy; it took some time for me to control my emotions and to
continue on. I was blessed to serve with this Bishopric for four wonderful
years.
The next opportunity I had to serve was with the 14
year old scouts and my son Ryan was one of them. There were about 12 boys.
Three were inactive and some others didn't like camps, but they would rather
play video games. We were going to the East Fork of the Bear camp. I was
excited because if the entire group had mountain bikes we could bring the bikes
and ride instead of walk to all the different activity areas.
I worked hard to convince them to come and to get
bikes that worked for all of them. Everyone was able to attend that camp and we
all had a great time. We grew to respect and love each other.
The next opportunity to serve was as a stake and
ward missionary and then as a stake and ward mission leader. Two times in each
calling in two different wards and stakes. I served for ten years and I grew to
appreciate, respect, and love all those I served with and had joy as they grew
in the Gospel. As we met new contacts and got to know those that we helped feel
the Spirit, it was easy to love them and experience joy as they progressed in
the Gospel. I never had the opportunity to experience every step from
non-member to the temple with the same family. I did get to experience all the
steps with different individuals and different families. I experienced great
joy as they were able to feel the Spirit and grow in the Gospel.
Using the example of Lehi in the Book of Mormon
when he taught that the children of God exist that they might have joy, Elder
Oaks spoke of the great truth that is "fundamental to our philosophy of
life.”
"The kind of joy referred to in the scriptures
is not the happiness we experience in temporary rushes of pleasure such as we
enjoy in our worldly activities and experiences. The joy that is the purpose of
our existence is intense and enduring. We may properly say it is eternal."
"Overarching all of these is the joy we
experience in many forms of service to our fellow man," he said. “All of
those worldly activities and experiences are only mortal or temporary examples
of the joy of creativity.”
I'd like to quote a few lines from a
talk by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf called The Joy of the
Priesthood.
"Yes, there is always something imperfect in
any situation. Yes, it is easy to find things to complain about. But brethren,
we are bearers of the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God! Each
of us had hands laid upon our head and we received the priesthood of God. We
have been given authority and responsibility to act in His name as His servants
on earth. Whether in a large ward or a small branch, we are called upon to
serve, to bless, and to act in all things for the good of everyone and
everything entrusted to our care. Could there be anything more
exhilarating? Let us understand, appreciate, and feel the joy of service
in the priesthood. Through this power, He redeems and exalts His children,
bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.
Let us embrace and understand the wonder and
privilege of the priesthood. Let us accept and love the responsibilities we are
asked to fulfill-responsibilities in our homes and in our Church units, no
matter how large or small they may be. Let us constantly increase in
righteousness, dedication, and priesthood service. Let us find the joy of
serving in the priesthood!
And finally, let us deepen our faith in our Lord,
Jesus Christ. Let us take upon ourselves His name and commit each single day to
walk anew in the path of discipleship. Let our works make our faith perfect.
Through discipleship we may be perfected one step at a time by serving our
family, our fellowmen, and God."
The next Opportunity to serve came when I was
called to serve as the second counselor in the Bishopric. After I was called
there were two weeks before it was to happen. Those two weeks were filled with
many highs and lows, self-doubt, gratitude and other emotions. The first
Sacrament meeting after I was set apart I was sitting up on the stand looking
out over the members of the ward and I felt love and concern for every member
of the ward. It was like I was a parent and they were my children. I could feel
the love of our Father in heaven for them when I had the opportunity to set
them apart for their callings or give them blessings when they needed them.
I continued to feel that way until I was released.
I had so many opportunities to feel great joy as I served in the Bishopric. All
of the Bishopric members were different; we each had our strengths and
weaknesses. That's what made it such a great and joyous experience working
together, serving each other, and serving all the ward members.
There isn't time to tell you about all the great
and joyous experiences I had serving in the Bishopric. I truly experienced love
and concern for every member of the ward and great joy when they had growth and
success in the Gospel and life in general.
After serving in the Bishopric I was called to
serve as the High Priest group leader. I had the same love and concern for
those I served with and members of the quorum as I did for the Bishopric and
ward members when I served in the Bishopric. I was also able to start doing
family history. This in turn brought great joy as I was able to do the temple
work for my ancestors and relatives. I also experienced joy when I and members
of the group leadership and quorum grew in the Gospel. I appreciated when a
member of the presidency or quorum thanked me for helping them in some way.
Here is one of my favorite scriptures.
Alma 17:1-2
1 And now it came to pass that as Alma was
journeying from the land of Gideon southward, away to the land of Manti,
behold, to his astonishment, he met with the sons of Mosiah journeying towards
the land of Zarahemla.
2 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the
time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly
to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his
brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the
truth; for they were men.
When I read this scripture I feel joy and hope that
those I have served with would feel the same love for me as I feel love for
them.
To those of us who profess to be disciples of the
Savior Jesus Christ, He gave this far-reaching instruction:
John 13:34-35
34 A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love
one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my
disciples, if ye have love one to another.
So over this same period of time from age 28 after
I read and prayed about the Book of Mormon, I also was able to enjoy working
with my hands in the Auto Body field and riding mountain bikes and road bikes
three or more times a week. I also enjoyed skiing, snowboarding, and traveling
with Annette and our family and friends. All of these things did bring
happiness and satisfaction. But they didn't have the same joy as serving in the
Gospel.
On August 24, 2015 we were in Steam Boat Springs,
Colorado for a mountain bike vacation. I was taking it safe and going slow as I
checked out a new trail I had not ridden before. I was going around jumps to
see the landings before I tried them. I crashed by riding too slow off a five
foot drop in the trail without seeing it. I don't remember it. I came to when
my friend Josh that was riding ahead of me hiked back up the trail because I
didn't show up at the next trail crossing. I told him I could not move and
didn't know what had happened.
I told him that I wished he was a worthy Priesthood
holder so he could give me a Priesthood blessing. I told him to take pictures
and to turn off my satellite tracking app. I also told him not to call Annette,
just go and pick her up at the condo and tell her then. I was calm; I was not
afraid or upset.
The next time I came to was in the $45,000.00
helicopter ride to the hospital in Denver. I remember looking at the gray ceiling
and thinking that they should have a camera under the helicopter with a video
monitor on the ceiling.
That next time I came to I was talking to the
surgeon. I was told that I broke my neck at C6-C7 and there was only a 1 in
200,000 chance that I would be able to use my hands and lower body again. I was
given some choices in what he could do for me. I told him to do what he thought
was best for me. I told the surgeon I didn't want to go into surgery without a
Priesthood Blessing.
The Hospital Chaplin was called who was a Mennonite
Priest. He was a very nice man and he came and talked to me several times
during my stay in the Denver hospital. He told me that he was having a hard
time finding someone to come from my church to give me a blessing. After trying
for 3 hours a Bishop and an Elders Quorum President came and gave me a
blessing. Shortly after that Annette and Josh arrived from Steamboat Springs
and my parents that were in Winter Park, Colorado arrived at the hospital. We
were going to trade condos with my parents on Wednesday. This whole time from
the accident until I woke up after surgery I was calm and only remember what I
just shared with you.
My friend Josh hasn't been active in the church for
many years. When I came to after surgery I asked for Josh to come in and I told
him the Gospel was true. I also told Annette and my parents a few things. It
was like I had been given a truth serum. During this time from the accident to
after surgery I had ministering angels with me. I realized that my life was
going to be different and I would not be able to do most of the things that I
enjoyed doing. I wondered about what I would be able to do and then I realized
that serving others and sharing the Gospel brought more joy than all the other
activities I enjoyed and the work that I loved.
For the next two weeks in the Denver hospital I was
happy and whenever I was alone at night with a doctor or nurse I asked them
about their beliefs and shared the Gospel with them.
All those I shared the Gospel with were open to
share their beliefs with me and open to my beliefs. One was a member of the
church and he had not been active since he left home to start school as a
nurse. He married a Jewish girl and they had two kids. I was able to talk with
him three different nights. He told me that his parents were going to be glad
that he had met me. The reason I enjoyed my time in the hospital was because I
cared about those I was sharing the Gospel with more than myself. That's a good
way to be.
I was flown home to IMC on 54th and State. I was
able to have several more gospel discussions and several spiritual experiences
during the next 3 months that I was there. One of the experiences that stand
out most to me is when we had been there for several weeks and we hadn't been able
to take the Sacrament. I remember what joy I received when I took the Sacrament
again; I hadn't realized how important it was to me and what I had missed.
I stayed positive the majority of the time I was
there, working hard to do all they asked of me. The therapists told me that I
was the first quadriplegic they worked with that was positive and that all the
others were depressed and angry. I returned home two days before Thanksgiving.
It wasn't long before reality hit me hard. I started feeling sorry for myself
and having self-worth issues. Without the love and care of family, friends and
others it would have been and would now be so much harder. I don't know if I
could make it without their love and care.
It is very hard being paralyzed. Family and friends
that love and care for me make it worth trying to go on. Slowly over the last
year I am getting back to myself. And I am getting ready to do what brings me
joy: serving others, sharing the Gospel, and loving those I serve and those I
serve with.
President Gordon B. Hinckley said;
Love is the very essence of the gospel, the noblest
attribute of the human soul. Love is the remedy for ailing families, ill
communities, and sick nations. Love is a smile, a wave, a kind comment, and a
compliment. Love is sacrifice, service, and selflessness. Without the pure love
of Christ, Mormon counsels, "[we] are nothing." My prayer is
that we may follow Mormon's counsel to "pray unto the Father with all the
energy of heart, that [we] may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed
upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that [we] may become
the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him."
I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet and Joseph
saw God the Father and Jesus Christ, his Son, and that they are two separate
Beings. I know that Joseph interpreted the Book of Mormon from Gold Plates. I know
that the Book of Mormon is TRUE. I know that life is Eternal and the Atonement
is real. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is TRUE. I
know that to feel Love and Joy is why we are here.
I share this testimony with you in the name of
Jesus Christ, AMEN.
Lord, I Would Follow Thee (pg. 220)
1. Walk the path that thou hast shown,
Pause to help and lift another,
Finding strength beyond my own.
Savior, may I learn to love thee-
Lord, I would follow thee.
2. Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can't see.
Who am I to judge another?
Lord, I would follow thee.
3. I would be my brother's keeper;
I would learn the healer's art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother's keeper-
Lord, I would follow thee.
4. Savior, may I love my brother
As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother-
Lord, I would follow thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment