Jeff's Journey will be a place where family and friends can come to get updates on our dad's condition and progress. We have a long road ahead of us and we hope that this blog can serve not only as a place for updates but also as a journal of strength and remembrance. We have faith in our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ and we know that through our faith and perseverance our dad will be healed. Though we have been told that the chances are slim (1 in 200,000) that our dad will walk again, we will be by his side to help him beat those odds. Our dad will make it through this challenging trial and we will be there to help him every step of the way! We love you DAD & GRANDPA!!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Pain, Hope & Joy!

 

This picture makes my heart ache with pain....it represents that specific moment in time when our world was turned upside down, inside out and twisted to such distortion that things would never be the same again. Never.

Exactly two years ago today my dad lay there lifeless on that dirt bike trail and oh how we wish we could turn back time to make things different and prevent this accident from happening!!

People ask us all the time how things are going and most of the time we say things are ok, but as strong as you think we are, it's not always ok, we just say that because we don't want to break down into tears in front of you.

Lots of emotions and contention happen constantly as we are all still striving to figure this new life out and where we fit in to it. We want so badly to hang on to the life we had and the people we were before the accident, but no matter how much we want that, it isn't coming back. Never.

So, what do we do? What will get us through this unseemly long nightmare? On the days we have hardly any strength left in us, we continue to LOVE and SERVE each other. We try to focus on the positive things. And most importantly we constantly keep a prayer in our heart that we can be strong, that we can make it through today and that we will find ways to experience joy.

On this day I'm filled with so many emotions, but one of those emotions is gratitude and that gratitude changes in to joy.....I have joy that my dad is still on this earth and is mentally the same person he has always been. I have joy when I watch my dad be able to participate in sports with his friends. I have joy when I see that he is able to drive a vehicle. And above all, I have joy when I hear him tell me or my children that he loves us.

I don't know what our future holds or if things will ever get easier, but I do know that God will watch over us and help us through this. We will continue to hope for a better tomorrow, a better month, a better year and ultimately we hope that whatever we are learning through this trial will help us become better people. We will someday be able to rest from this trial and my dad will be whole again!

Alma 13:29 "Having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest."

2 Nephi 31:20 "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

We all face trials to different degrees and I pray that like us you will remember that God does love you! Jesus Christ loves you and suffered in Gethsemane for you. And, because of this suffering he is the only one who truly understands what you are going through. Turn to him and continue to hold on to that hope of a better tomorrow. It will be hard, but you can do it and you will be able to find joy. I know that "we can feel joy even while having a bad day, a bad week, or even a bad year!" (https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/10/joy-and-spiritual-survival?lang=eng)

Thank you to everyone who has helped us in our trials and to everyone who has served our family by giving of their time or helping us financially (https://www.gofundme.com/adapative-sports-equipment-for-jeff). You are our blessing! You help give us joy and you help us have hope for a better tomorrow!!

Lots of Love,
Brandi

PS. I have a personal goal to share my message of joy with 500 people!! Will you please comment below what brought you joy yesterday/today? And then ask one other person to read this post and comment? We can find strength in numbers!! Please help me gather 500 comments of joy!!
Note: Click below on the link that tells you the number of comments (example "7 comments") and then click on the words "Post a Comment" at the bottom of all the comments. If your comment won't post, then when it asks who you are, you sometimes have to select "Text Type" and then submit the comment and it should post. What a weird quirk!!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Hugs from my husband.

Unknown said...

My joy is my grandchildren. They are blessings far beyond what I could imagine. I have enjoyed taking part in taking care of my grandson who was an extreme preemie three years ago. Now he is a healthy, energetic, normal boy. The Lord blessed us every day! I have gained strength reading your blog and seeing the strength and trust in the Lord your family has.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of my new favorite church song... Gethsemane. Miss Sophie sings it all the time to me. Pretty much every time I end up in tears. Like now.

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane

He felt all that was sad, wicked or bad
All the pain we would ever know
While His friends were asleep
He fought to keep
His promise made long ago

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He went willingly
To Gethsemane

The hardest thing that ever was done
The greatest pain that ever was known
The biggest battle that ever was won
This was done by Jesus
The fight was won by Jesus

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He gave His gift to me
In Gethsemane

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
So He gives His gift to me
From Gethsemane

Gethsemane, Jesus loves me. Our trials are so very hard. And often, they last longer than we'd like. We each get to experience our own Gethsemane in this life. I won't tell you that you're lucky because sometimes it doesn't feel that way... what I will tell you is that I wish I could still talk to my dad.
Every day I wish him back.
I hear his voice in my mind but it's just not the same.
I wish that he were here to hold my babies and tell them stories.
Collin's first steps, Sophie's first day at First Grade...all of it.
BUT
Because of Jesus I'll get to be with him again. Seems like that won't be for a long time ... until then we just take it one day, one minute, one second at a time.


*hugs*

Ash

Unknown said...

Today I had joy watching my kids play together and laughing. They are such a blessing (even when they feel like a trial) and they are a great reminder of all the promises we have been given if we just keep the faith in this life. We are an eternal family!

Alicia Johnson said...

Today I went to primary children's hospital and had joy in the fact that my children are healthy. I also had joy that we have such a special place that's fights for lives every day. It also shows how valuable life is and how hard we are willing to fight to keep our loved ones with us.

The Peterson Bunch said...

I love the positive attitude! Very inspiring.

Unknown said...

Today my extra smile came from Aspen. She is developing quite a sense of humor and has learned to tease. She kept taking off her shoes. One time when I went to put it back on, she would pull her foot away just as I would get the shoe over her toes. Then she would laugh and laugh and we would start over again. It was one of those perfect moments when everything felt right.

Inspired Angel said...

I felt joy when I came home tonight to a beautiful clean kitchen because Demi wanted to help me have a better day. And this was after her full school day and before going to work for 3 hours tonight.

Inspired Angel said...

AKA: Michelle Fagatele

Lulu said...

I loved seeing my kids excited about going back to school. Most of them already love their teacher, and are so excited to see friends again. It brings me joy to see them so happy.
I also saw a many other kids at the school who I really love, and I know they like me. It's fun to see all those kids. That makes me so happy. :)

Unknown said...

Jeff, your courage and strength are so inspiring. Your ability to see the tender mercies and small miracles in this trial is what will get you through this. Something that brought me happiness this week was making bread and giving it to some neighbors. Serving others is the great remedy for all sorrow because charity is the pure love of Christ. Luckily, no matter our situation, we all can have charity in our hearts and that joy we we get from it can help heal the soul. We have prayed for you and your family every night before bed since we heard about your accident two years ago. I only tell you that because I want you to know that we love you and your family very much! You've got a lot of people in your corner Jeff! Keep striving, keep riding, keep skiiing, keep believing, keep charity in your heart! Love, The Burby's

TJ said...

Getting cuddles from my 2-year-old! Makes The hard stuff worth it.

Holly Winter said...

Today I had joy sitting around a table with family enjoying good food and company. My parents took me to dinner for my birthday. Seeing my children with their grandparents is always wonderful. Watching my 6 foot 6 tall dad holding my small 4 year olds hand brought a smile to my face ��❤

Anonymous said...

Spending time with my two dogs and two cats brings me joy every day. They are all seniors now and every day is a gift, especially with the ones that are developing health problems as they age.

Good luck to you, Jeff, in your journey as you continue to heal.

Sharon Taufer said...

Family and my church are my greatest joys. I am a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the greatest happiness I have in my life comes from the knowledge I have from my membership in the church. I have a wonderful husband and children and grandchildren that I know can be mine forever if I live right. I don't know what my life would like if I had not found the church, but I do know what it is with the church. It is go good to know that our earthly sorrows and pains will be gone when we return to live with our Heavenly Father.

Lisa said...

My greatest joy comes from spending time with my family. I had a chance to spend a whole day just with my daughter over the weekend doing a mother daughter activity. I knew she was excited for the experience, but I was blown away by how motivated she was hroughout the day as we worked together. Family is always there for you. Take care and best wishes on your path.

Jeanie said...

I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my brother and sisters for the first time in 40 years. Family love!