Jeff's Journey will be a place where family and friends can come to get updates on our dad's condition and progress. We have a long road ahead of us and we hope that this blog can serve not only as a place for updates but also as a journal of strength and remembrance. We have faith in our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ and we know that through our faith and perseverance our dad will be healed. Though we have been told that the chances are slim (1 in 200,000) that our dad will walk again, we will be by his side to help him beat those odds. Our dad will make it through this challenging trial and we will be there to help him every step of the way! We love you DAD & GRANDPA!!

Friday, September 4, 2015

Day 12 - September 4, 2015 - From Jeff

Dear Family, Old and New Friends,
                Thank you so much for all your prayers and financial support.  This has been quite the experience being on the receiving end of so much support, love and concern.  I never wanted to be on the receiving end and I always wanted to be on the giving end. 
                Many thanks and appreciation to Josh Lloyd for the major contribution of his time and effort in getting the help needed, helping Annette, my parents and the Bowen's. The efforts made by the Steamboat Springs Mountain Rescue Team was greatly appreciated by their efforts to get me loaded on a gurney with a wheel, pushed me up the mountain to get to a location where the Life Flight Helicopter could pick me up for transfer to the Denver Health Trauma Center.
                The next person who helped me with my needs for a blessing prior to surgery was the hospital chaplain, who is a Mennonite Minister. He worked tirelessly to locate the LDS Priesthood to give me a blessing, because I refused to go into surgery without it. A Bishop and his Elders Quorum President came as fast as they could to give me my blessing, I needed the Lord's Spirit and guidance to be with me and the surgeons.
                To Dr. Harasaki and his team who did the surgery, I'm greatly appreciative for their time and talents. I'm grateful for the trauma nurse who took care of Annette, my parents, and Josh keeping them informed of everything that was going on. She came in every 2 hours to talk with them while I was in surgery which lasted until 4:00AM. 
                The staff at Denver Health have been over the top. The relationships I've been able to make with so many of the nurses have been personally and spiritually rewarding for all of us as we converse. One relationship that has been particularly rewarding is that of David Fairchild, who showed how much we had in common. Although all the nurses are spiritual people, David is an inactive member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly known as the Mormons. He has been my night nurse for 3 nights and it's amazing how close our life's stories as teenagers and young adults are alike. As I have chosen from 1988 to live the gospel, after I gained my own personal testimony, David chose to leave the Church behind. His family, especially his mother, has been working with him hoping that he would get more interested and becoming active along with his young family. He appreciated our nightly conversations, gaining a desire to start with taking his 2 young children to church. I want others to have the knowledge and understanding of the blessings I have in mine and my family's life. It is a greater personal accomplishment and enjoyment to have been able to positively influence individuals to feel of the spirit and have a desire to know more about the gospel. I enjoy being a tool in God's hands in helping others to understand more of the blessings that the church will bring them. This is something I had the opportunity to do during this hospital stay. This is something I can continue to do even though I am paralyzed. I continue to look forward to the joy it brings me.
                I am so thankful for Annette for being my wife and companion and especially for her endless care of our family and now for being by my side and learning each day what she will be required to do in her caring for me. I am so thankful for my parents and their example throughout my life, for all their support and love they give me. Not just me and mine, but for all of their children they have always been counted on as the needs of their family have occurred to be the example for all of us. They have been here when I needed them so much.
                I'm thankful for my three children and their spouses and my 6 little grandchildren for being so supportive and encouraging and involved in my well being, it's amazingly comforting to me.
                Many thanks and appreciation go to Ron Magera, my present employee, and Steve Moffitt, a main customer and friend for their willingness to keep the shop running not just this round, but throughout the many times I've taken some time off.
                I am so thankful for my daughter, Brandi and Julee, my daughter-in-law for setting up this blog spot. I would never have thought of doing something like this. Thanks to mom for keeping notes on the day's events to send to the girls to put each days blog spot together.

No comments: