A few of Jeff's friends have written favorite memories or recounted experiences that they've enjoyed with him. When Ryan read them out loud to him there was not a dry eye in the room. We are so grateful to those who took the time to share their thoughts and upon Jeff's request we are posting them to this blog for everyone to read. We look forward to having more sent our way. If you'd like to participate please contact Ryan. A huge thanks to Ron Brown, Brent Lloyd, and Sam Hull for being the first to share!
From Ron Brown:
Jeff is one of those guys that if you have only met him once and even for a short period of time, you probably have a good memory with him. As we run into other riders on our bikes and see them more than two or three times, Jeff knows their name and probably knows what they do for work and what their church calling is. Even those that we ride past or that ride past us might get a comment from Jeff about their bike or how they are riding. In fact, most of the people that we ride with are a result of Jeff talking and getting to know them out on the trail (Max, Bryant, Mikey, Lance, Doug, Russ and the Utah County crew). I also know that he stays connected with those that he meets at church, on his trips and on his cruises.
As for memories, I can not count all the great memories which include the Lake Powell trips where we would play volley ball in the sun until we were burnt to a crisp on the outside and sore to the bone on the inside. The biking trips to St. George, Moab, Fruita and Flagstaff are all great memories. And of course, I can't forget the cruise that Caprise and I were included on as temporary members of the Page family.
As great as these trips were, it isn't what I consider the greatest memory with Jeff. I think the times that I enjoy the most are the early morning rides where we would have great discussions on all sorts of topics including our families, our kids, our jobs, the economy, politics, our friends and of course church topics. Through this time spent talking with him, I knew of his concern for me and my family as well as the concern and the well being of our friends. I also know that my knowledge of the gospel has been increased and my testimony strengthened as we discussed our beliefs. The drives to and from some of our riding spots (American Fork and Mueller Park) are also times of great memory.
I know that regardless of the level of recovery that Jeff is able to achieve, we will continue to have great conversations and create many more great memories. Jeff's life will never be the same, but I believe it will continue to be filled with excitement and adventure and I hope to be one of those that is lucky enough to be apart of them.
I lost an older brother early in my life and have very vague memories of him. When I have friends like Jeff, I like to think that my brother would have been a little like him.
I love Jeff for who he was, who he is, and who he will be.
From Brent Lloyd:
Thanks for this opportunity to express my feelings for such a good friend. The news of the accident hit me pretty hard. I’ve known Jeff for nearly twenty-five years; starting out as a cycling college, then growing into a very good friendship. I’ve never known another person quite like Jeff. He includes everyone in his life and you always know exactly where he stands. Whether it’s putting together a group ride, sharing a vacation destination or his faith in God, you can expect an invitation to join him.
Riding with Jeff is an experience, always looking for a new trail or fun place to bike. We’ve had a great time exploring new trails. Back in the day, they would, more often than not, turn into a bike-a-hike or we’d be biking Corner Canyon road in the middle of winter when there was more ice and snow than bare ground. We were riding hiking trails that had never seen a two wheeler before. At the end of every ride Jeff can tell you about every bump and turn on the mountain. He’s the only person I know that can carry on a conversation while peddling up the most difficult trails. When I’m able to keep up, it’s all I can do to grunt when I think the conversation might need a reply. When I can’t keep up, he’s always just over the next hill or around the next corner waiting; then he tells me all the things I should be doing to climb better or descend faster.
Jeff has an amazing ability to learn. He has always been a storehouse of knowledge. Whether it’s the latest bicycles, cars, or technology, he seems to be a wealth of information and more than willing to share it.
With Jeff, it’s all about efficiency; there’s no time to waste in his itinerary. Everything he does has a reason. This can be difficult when planning a vacation; don’t expect to get much rest and relaxation. And when it comes to his faith in God, there’s no time to waste there either. He’s on a mission to convert everyone that will listen. On a sleepless night years ago, he shared his testimony with me in an email. I’m sure that he had been working on me all along, but that motivated me to stop making excuses and make God a priority in my life. Not long after that, I was sealed to my childhood sweetheart; together forever!
So, you see, Jeff really is amazing! Your Friend, Brent
From Sam Hull:
Hi Jeff,
The best part of my life back in the 90s when I lived in Riverton was the camaraderie I felt with you and the others in our small bike community. The experiences and adventures we had are some of the best of my life. After I moved away that became even clearer to me. But what became even more apparent was how lucky I am to have you as a friend. You more than any of my other friends would find time to reach out to give me a call and stay connected. You are an amazing man Jeff and one of the most sincere and helpful individuals I know.
What a challenge it is you now face. Myself along with so many others that care about you are by your side Jeff. You'll never be alone. I know what you are made of and I have complete confidence in you to overcome the obstacles before you. There might be times when you don't know if you have the strength to get over the tall walls in front of you. But those walls will be what strengthens and refines you to becoming your very best. God has given you the amazing potential to return to Him one day, clean and full of the life experiences that bring out qualities resembling many of his own God-like strengths. This event will bring them out and help to perfect you.
I pray for you Jeff and I hope you can keep this eternal perspective. People don't seek out adversity on their own, but God is in control and knows what we can handle and what will bring out our fullest potential and hands us the trials that will bring out strengths and qualities we never knew existed within us. I don't mean to go on like this is some conference talk or something, but I got a good glimpse of God pushing me to become more than I was with my trials. So many great men out there, like yourself, have tremendous obstacles put before them which in turn make them exceptional in the end. Keep up the faith Jeff and know that while it is not easy, every tough experience we have in life is all worth it in the end. God is in control, He's more than just aware of you, and He knows you are capable of getting through and growing beyond this tough time. He needs you to because you still have a lot of lives to bless. You have definitely blessed and enriched mine over the years and for that I am grateful. Take care my friend -one day at a time. With God and those who love and care for you at your side, I know things will work out and you are going to be okay.
Your friend, Sam
Jeff's Journey will be a place where family and friends can come to get updates on our dad's condition and progress. We have a long road ahead of us and we hope that this blog can serve not only as a place for updates but also as a journal of strength and remembrance. We have faith in our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ and we know that through our faith and perseverance our dad will be healed. Though we have been told that the chances are slim (1 in 200,000) that our dad will walk again, we will be by his side to help him beat those odds. Our dad will make it through this challenging trial and we will be there to help him every step of the way! We love you DAD & GRANDPA!!
No comments:
Post a Comment