Jeff's Journey will be a place where family and friends can come to get updates on our dad's condition and progress. We have a long road ahead of us and we hope that this blog can serve not only as a place for updates but also as a journal of strength and remembrance. We have faith in our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ and we know that through our faith and perseverance our dad will be healed. Though we have been told that the chances are slim (1 in 200,000) that our dad will walk again, we will be by his side to help him beat those odds. Our dad will make it through this challenging trial and we will be there to help him every step of the way! We love you DAD & GRANDPA!!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Updates from Jeff - Sept. 8, 10 & 11

Hi all, it's been a long week! It's been about time I tune in. Here's a little update of my progress from each day.

September 8, 2015 (Day 16)

The nurses here at IMC on the 5th floor have also been great. I had the opportunity to talk to two nurses who are really into mountain biking. They came to see me because they knew my accident was caused by mountain biking. They have a group of 3 that goes on trips to ride mountain bikes. So I gave them a few tips and we chatted about favorite trails. They think that I need to be a public speaker. One of them is married and has two kids. The other is single, in her late twenties, and hoping to meet a husband out on the trail. She rides at Corner Canyon often. So, if you see a cute blonde and she's in your age range and you're also looking for someone, say hi.

September 10, 2015 (Day 18)

Yesterday was my first day of therapy. I didn't sleep the night before so it was hard to stay awake, listen, and do what they were asking me to do. I worked as hard as I could to do what they asked me to do. And then I paid the price of very sore muscles and a very sore incision area. I've got to learn how hard to push myself so that I can advance as soon as possible but without the maximum pain I had to go through after therapy.

All my cousins from the Ewell side, several of them anyway, came and saw me. Also David McGregor came yesterday. David brought me a Slurpee from 7-Eleven that tasted wonderful. But later in the evening when it was time to eat dinner the Slurpee wanted to burp back up, and so no more Slurpees for me. My cousin Camille cut my hair which looks great and feels better but was very difficult with the pain level from therapy.

September 11, 2015 (Day 19)

Well, the second day of therapy went very well. I was able to brush my own teeth, wheel my own wheelchair down the hall, and use my cell phone for the first time to make a call to my daughter Brandi. But I made the same mistake as the day before. I did not pre-medicate before therapy. So when I came back from therapy everything hurt so bad I took a couple of pain pills and was out.

It was nice that my parents, my son and his family, three of my biking friends, and one of their wives came to visit me. It's really nice to visit with friends and family and to talk about old times and new times, challenges, and things that I'm going to be going through. But I should get through.

My dad and I are discussing the ways we are going to put a lift in my home garage and remodel the bathroom so that it will all work for my condition.

Jeff

No comments: