By Peggy Page
September 2, 2015
My first born came into this world December 22, 1959, weighing 9 lbs. 7 oz., and 22 1/2 inches long. I finally understood with empathy the feelings of Mary as she held her newborn son Jesus Christ in her arms. We brought Jeff home on Christmas Day - one of the happiest and proudest days of our lives.
His first home was a 2 room
chicken coop that had a cellar which had the main well located in it. We called it the "Cabin," which had
been Jay and his brother LeRoy's abode since they were very young. His grandparents owned 40 acres in Bluffdale
with a very large mink ranch, horses, chickens, dogs and cats. They grew alfalfa, corn, and
nice pastures for the horses.
We had his name chosen before he arrived, Jeffrey Jay
Page, Jay being his father's name. As
every newborn, Jeff had to learn to swallow to enable him to receive
nourishment to survive. Through the next
year he learned to feed himself as well as briefly crawling, then
walking/running. He came to us with
built in self-determination and direction he wanted his life to be independent,
creative, curious in every aspect of his achievements. Talking and communicating his wants and
questions that challenged us to answer him quick enough to satisfy his pursuit
to know and understand his world and how to live in it. Determination was his guiding force, a go-go
baby, a go-go toddler, a go-go child, a go-go adolescent, a go-go teenager and
of course a go-go man.
At the age of 14 months old I put him in a pair of
training pants to hopefully get him potty trained before his baby sister
would arrive 5 months later. I can still
see the picture in my mind. Besides the
cotton training pants, he had on a T shirt, his little blue fedora hat and his
socks. He was holding the dust mop pushing
it around the floor when, Oh Oh, he peed down his legs onto the floor and on
his socks. He stopped and looked over
what had happened and I explained all about using the toilet. That was it!
He never wet or soiled his pants again; talk about instant potty
training. This was the way he learned to
live in this world in all aspects, grasping even the tiniest pieces of
knowledge to succeed; playful, creative, always busy and always tuned in.
In our little home we had a glass candy dish with a
lid. Way after Jeff went to sleep for
the night, no matter how quietly his dad tried to open the candy dish for a
treat, Jeff would hear it and pop up in the corner of his crib, peek around the
room opening and say, "Canny" for candy. Jeff was always fine tuned
in. He grew from a chubby, curly blond
haired, green eyed, baby to a 6 foot dark brown, still curly haired man -
always slim, trim and strong.
Almost 56 years has passed; now Jeff has restarted and
learned to swallow again to enable him to receive nourishment to survive. Small steps at a time through this next year
he will shape his life in to the go-go man once again. His new attribute will be patience, hand to
hand with determination.
I am so fortunate to be his mother, to be with him
every day, to be able to help him in anyway, from ordering his meals to
arranging his flight home and beginning rehab at IMC in Murray. Outpatient rehab will be in Sandy, at
Neuorworx, when he is released fom inpatient rehab.
We laugh, we reminisce and talk of the
future. Jeff is making me smarter in the
use of my smart phone. I am amazed how
he can instruct us in detail in using his computer, tablet and phone. Jeff is directing his own care; the entire
staff appreciates his involvement. His
bluntness and sarcasm keep them
bantering and laughing along with us. I
am so grateful for the Lord's blessing in giving me the strength, calmness, and
the ability to handle the details needed for his recovery.
I will have my
firstborn into my old age - that I know.
3 comments:
Absolutely wonderful!
So sweet and loving!
Thanks Peggy and Brandi for putting up this blog spot. Since learning about Jeff's accident I have wanted to know how he, his wife, family and how his parents were doing. This blog has done that and I have felt of Jeff's strength and the faith that you as family have. I have been praying for Jeff and all of you. I get a laugh out of reading about his comments- he sounds the same as before the accident, that's good!. Please say Hi to Jeff for me, and that I wish him the best.
Peggy,
I enjoyed this latest post. Jeff is blessed to have you and Annette right there by his side and I know Jay is also spending as much time there as he can as well. Hope Jeff returns to Utah soon!
Quin Thorup
Post a Comment